Important Terms + Conditions
- Mackaya Bella Country Lodge is on a “Farm Road”, concrete strips and dirt.
- Cars with a HIGH ground clearance are recommended.
- The Lodge is about 3km from the R600 main road.
- The Estates name is Rood Farm , Cathkin Valley
- The lodge is on Google maps. https://g.page/MackayaBellaDrakensberg.
- Our GPS location is S 29.2.5 E 29.25.5
When you get to our Main gate on the R600 please call, miss call, or text us to let us know you are there. We will open the gate using our cell phones. When you get to the next gate please do the same. We will open it for you using our cell phones. Follow the road to the lodge. We will be there to meet you.
The room key will be in the back of your door when you arrive. You are provided with a remote gate control in order to access the property during your stay. This will open both gates. When you leave after your stay please miss call us like you did on the day you arrived.
Check in and out times
- Check in time is between 2pm (14h00) and 6 pm (18h00), unless by prior agreement.
- Check out time is before 10h00.
- Guest are requested to email or text us their estimated time of arrival at least 2 days before arrival
- Guests are required to provide us with their cell number.
Breakfast and Dinner Times
Breakfast is served between 07h15 and 09h00 daily.
Please come in for pre- dinner drinks at 18h30, when all our guests are in the dining room dinner will be served, no later than 19h00. Please be considerate and be on time. If you are going to be late or you don’t want dinner, please inform our staff.
Please inform us of any dietary requirements when making your booking. We do not run a Kosher or Halal kitchen. We serve traditional South African home cooked meals.
Hikers Lunch Packs:
If you require a Hikers lunch pack please inform us the day before. The lunch pack consist of a bottle of water, small fruit juice box, fresh fruit, a sandwich or muffin, and a variety of health bars, chocolate, nuts, dried fruit etc.
The “Honesty Bar” can be found in the dining room of the Lodge. Please mark off what you have taken on the forms provided. Your bar bill will be added to your account and must be paid before departure.
During COVID Pandemic Regulations rooms may not be serviced at this time
- This is in order to protect our guest privacy.
- Towels can be replaced on request.
- We do offer a laundry service, at an additional charge, if you hand it in before 9am in the morning.
- It will be returned to you either on the same day or the next day depending on the weather.
- There is NO laundry service over weekends. If you require a clothes drying rack, please ask our staff. They will bring one to your room.
South Africa is a water scarce country. Please assist us in conserving our precious resource.
- Hospitality trays are provided in each room. ( tea, coffee, sachet milk, sugar)
- If you would like a small jug of milk, please ask the staff.
- If you require a top up of the amenities, please ask the staff or you are most welcome to take from the dining room coffee station area.
Shampoo, body wash, hand lotion, shower caps and soap are provided.
Hair dryers are available for your personal use.
Hot water bottles:
2 hot water bottles are available in the cupboards of each room.
There is a section at the top of the headboard for you to place your cups, books, phones etc.
Fans are provided in each room.
Wall heaters and gas heaters are provided in each room. If you are unsure how to use them, please ask our staff and we will be happy to show you how.
There are NO fridges in the rooms. If you have anything you would like us to put in the lodge fridge for you, we would be happy to do so, please ask the staff.
Free Wi-Fi is available. Please ask for the password. The password is also displayed in the lodge
Are available if your appliance plug does not fit our 3 prong socket
Smoking is not permitted in the rooms or the lodge. Ash tins are provided on the outside patios. Please be carefully as the lodge roof is thatch grass.
DSTV satellite channels, full bouquet, are provided in the rooms and in the lodge. A large screen TV can be found in the bar lounge in the lodge. This includes SuperSport which broadcasts all major soccer and rugby games.
We cannot be held responsible for Eskom power outages, “Load Shedding” or weather-related power problems. We cook with gas and have Solar and gas lanterns for back up.
The garden lights are set on a timer and will go off at 22h30 nightly.
Transfer to Monks Cowl World Heritage Site;
If you require a transfer to the Monks Cowl World Heritage Site to go Hiking, please inform us the day before. There is a charge for the transfer, and this will be added to your account which must be paid before departure.
No Pets are allowed:
No pets are allowed as we do have dogs on the property
No visitors will be allowed without prior consent
- No excess noise at any time
- Quiet time is between 22h30 and 07h00
Please inform us of any breakages or necessary room repairs timeously
Please check your room prior to departure and remove all your personal belongings as we do not take responsibility for lost items. If any items are left behind there will be retained for 3 months only. It is your responsibility to arrange collection.
Suggested items to bring on holiday to South Africa
Sunscreen, sun hat, insect repellent, hiking boots or good walking shoes, warm jacket, raincoat/windbreaker for hiking, swimming costume and swimming towel.
You are most welcome to tip the staff. The tip jar can be found on the “Honesty Bar” table. It is customary to leave a 10 % tip. Thank you, they really do appreciate it. The staff are an integral part of the smooth running of the lodge.
The nearest village which has a full range of services is Winterton over 30km away.
The Oaks Supermarket is at Dragon Peaks, 3km away. A good selection of household necessities are available. Petrol and Diesel are available there.
Local Popular attractions;
- uKhahlamba Monks Cowl World Heritage site. Hiking trails
- The Drakensberg boys Choir School (they perform every Wednesday during the school term)
- Falcon Ridge
- Dragons Rock Reptile Park
- Horse riding
- Canopy tours
- Helicopter Tours
- Hot air ballooning
- Historical Battle sites
- Adventure Centres
- Local Brewery
- Chocolate and cheese tasting
- Fantastic restaurants and coffee shops
- Curio shops and museums
Credit card facilities:
We accept Master and Visa cards at the lodge
Payment terms and conditions:
A 50% deposit is required to secure you booking. The balance is to be paid on site.
If you are booking though an agency the payment will appear on your bank statement as “NightsBridge”, Mackaya Bella Country Lodge.
If you book 15 days before arrival, then the full amount is required to be settled.
Please contact us directly for a quotation and check our calendar for availability on our webpage. www.mackayabella.com
Rates are subject to change without prior notice, please confirm
rates before booking.
Please note all deposit refunds will incur a R150.00
administrative cancellation fee.
Forfeit 100% of total if guests cancel 7 days before arrival
Forfeit 100% of deposit if guests cancel 14 days before arrival
Forfeit 50% of deposit if guests cancel 21 days before arrival
Forfeit 50% of deposit if guests cancel 30 days before arrival